Sleep apnea is difficult to diagnose and treat. If you are looking for ways on how to treat sleep apnea, learn the different types of tests. A lot of new models are used and tested, along with the modern devices used recently. Have you tried an apnea sleep test? If you have nothing, then you must have one as it is important for your health and the family members. Whether the apnea is mild, moderate, or severe, it needs to get treated to avoid getting worst.
Types of the sleep apnea test
The different types of sleep apnea tests in this article describes how severe the problem is. If you think that you had a sleep apnea problem, try out the sleep test at https://sleep.entific.com.hk/en/sleep-test/. Here are the different types of sleep test:
- Portable cardiorespiratory test. This is a simplified test that can be conducted privately, such as at home. The test is about measuring the airflow and breathing patterns while sleeping.
- Oximetry. This sleep test monitors and records measurements of both breathing and airflow patterns found in the blood oxygen levels, which is tracked through a small sleeve on the finger. Once the patient is found to have sleep apnea, it shows rise and fall in the blood oxygen levels. The fall while sleeping and rise upon waking.
- Nocturnal polysomnography. The test is a myriad of the body functions received, it provides close monitoring and recording during sleeping. The brain, lung, and heart activity are also tested along with the testing of oxygen levels in the bloodstream and breathing patterns.
With many different signs and symptoms of sleep apnea, it is difficult to diagnose. Thus, it requires the sleep test to diagnose and make a definitive diagnosis. The various tests are available used by doctors when diagnosing apnea. There could be an individual symptom from one patient to the other. So, a test will make sure that you have apnea or not.
What you should expect
When a close evaluation is performed on the symptoms, the doctor may refer to a sleep disorder center. The sleep specialist evaluates the symptoms and will prescribe a home test or other test options. The tests conducted for diagnosing a severe case of sleep apnea. It typically requires a whole night stay at the center where the test is performed. Constant monitoring and recording are done. So, the patient takes an overnight stay.
Some other specialists
With regards to the sleep test, the doctor may refer a patient to one of the other specializing doctors, such as the following:
- An Otolaryngologist. It is a specialist in the field of throat, ear, and nose, which will check for possible blockages.
- A cardiologist. It is a specialist that evaluates the heart. This specialist makes sure the functioning properly.
- A neurologist. It is a specialist that looks at the underlying neurological conditions that contribute to sleep apnea, such as:
- Degenerative brain disorder